Well, that is very interesting and good to know (though I am sorry that
your family had those problems). I didn't know that. And I'm still not
convinced that the genetic exception is absence of susceptibility to
diabetes, etc., rather than susceptibility to these things. But I am (I
like to think) open minded.

And believe me, for the traditional Chinese (was married to one) and I
expect for the Japanese too, not to mention the Filipinos, it was a lot of
rice for a little sauce.

Regarding berri berri: I'm old enough to have had a father who came from
the old South, the Dorthea Lange south (tho' he came from an upper middle
class family and was hardly typical of his era and place): back then,
pelagra was epidemic, as so many of the poor -- a great part of the
population, black and white -- ate mostly non-nixtamalized corn meal. But
that's not the same as eating a great deal of corn or rice with sufficient
amounts of beans or soy or other complementary foods. The Zunis and Hopis
didn't have problems with berri berri or pelagra or, for that matter,
diabetes -- this last, not until they started buying, instead, 20 lb sacks
of cheap, bleached white flour for fry bread washed down with cases of
cheap, off-brand soda, as I've often seen them stocking up on in Gallup, NM
grocery stores.

At any rate, I eat a great deal of carbs, though not huge amounts of rice,
nor much processed carbs, and am pretty normal for weight and fitness for a
half-breed Filipino/Scots Irish/English 63-year-old; and then too, my
mother, as described -- not to mention the corn sacred (literally) to Hopis
and others, Peruvian potatoes, and so forth. OTOH, traditional Inuit and
Maasai diets ...

I (just this once, Garth) agree with Garth: everyone eat what he wants!

Patrick Moore, drinking a cold beer as he types, after a nice bosque ride,
in ABQ, NM