28" is about as low as I can use too, at least for the sort of riding I do;
climbing the rockies on smooth pavement with gradual curves, carrying 40
lb, I might reconsider. My Matthews and Fargo had low gears of about 30",
and my briefly owned 1996 or so Race Lite bottomed out at well above 20 gi.

My problem has always been getting on and getting moving enough to stay
upright -- this on steep inclines and often sketchy surfaces; usually, with
a gear much below 30", the bike doesn't gain enough momentum in a
half-pedal-stroke to see me safely in the saddle and able to push down on
the other pedal. IOW, I fall over, or at least have to bail. Irritating.

On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 11:12 PM, Philip Williamson <
philip.william...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don’t think I can ride gears as low as you like, but I can sure ride
> those RM-3s! They’re virtually identical to my 80s WTB Cunningham bars. I
> just need to swap my non-aero levers for something with usable hoods. Good
> bars.
>
> My favorite gearing is 24-34-46 with a 12-27 road cassette, on 26” tires.
> Maybe with a longer wheelbase and bigger tires I could stay seated, but I
> run out of air at lower gears. 28” seems like the lowest usable gear for
> me. When I hop off and walk, I don’t lose much ground to the twiddlers,
> either. I don’t ride loaded touring bikes, but I weigh a lot.
>
> Philip
> Santa Rosa, CA

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique