On Feb 19, 2010, at 1:47 PM, jaybmc...@gmail.com wrote:

Not my listing: http://tinyurl.com/ykcw4c4

My mother-in-law is asking me about this bike.  I feel a bit unsure
about it.  I tried to get her to go after last week's Atlantis.  Any
thoughts on this bike, or experience with similar bikes?

That's a very odd bike compared to my 1995 Riv all-Rounder. It's not an All-Rounder, since it doesn't have cantis, there isn't a set of water bottle bosses on the underside of the down tube and the tubing diameters don't look quite right for the A/R. It looks more like a Road built for 26" wheels. The lugs don't look like the Richard Sachs-designed ones that were Riv's first lugs. Riv didn't ever do pinstripe outlines on the lugs nor stripes on the tubes IIRC, but the owner might have done that. The stars on the water bottle bosses and seat stay bridge, the seat stay rack mounts and the fork crown look correct. As does the beausage.

Slightly odd bike for a Riv of this era... It looks like a one-off; IIRC 54 or 52 cm was the smallest Road Standard and this is a 50 according to the auction. I wonder if they used different lugs because the geometry of the lugs for the larger frames didn't work out (or maybe my memory is what it used to be).