I have smooth 60mm Honjos and do really like them, although I am conscience
about the rumored fender collapse when I ride on trails, which isn't often
enough to come up with a different system to ease said conscience.

However, every ride takes me through our grassy, leafy, occasionally stick
littered lawn out in the country.  When dry leaves or grasses get picked up
in the fender, I have a low rubber mud flap that scoop them up, I can
definitely hear it scraping around.  Not being worried about a few leaves
or dead grass collapsing the fenders, I ride on and fix it when I get to my
door.

I have about 20mm of fender clearance and run slicks.  Rarely do I hear
rocks shooting through, even when riding on wet or dry gravel roads.  Water
sloshing around in my metal water bottle bugs me far more than the fenders
do!

I have thought about doing some elegant form of combining this guy's
fenders (Post #8 & 10
<http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/diy-fenders-372158.html>) with
chopped Honjos in places where I am not fearful of fenders collapsing
(attached to a light tab on the rear rack and down to the chain stay; in
front of the fork crown to just beyond the front rack), with heaps of
clearance for knobbies and mud/snow.  But for the riding I do now I am
happy with what I have.

Mat