Bill, 42 x 27 is an impressive low gear! On my QB, my low is 44x21 (57”) and
that requires some LCG on the steeper sections, some of them because I spin out
in the power stroke on the loose stuff. With my 38 x 22 (47”) gear on Shadowfax
I get up those just fine, though that’s also with a wider tire. I find the 34 x
22 (42”) gear too low, but figure it’ll come in handy when climbing
bikepacking. Grin. Not that this says anything, but when there are “sponsored”
riders on “real” mountain bikes, they spin up those when I walk them and I’m
often moving faster than them and I often pass them soon after. I love your
approach of it’s a challenge not a constraint! Enjoy!

With abandon,
Patrick