I'm sure genetics plays a part, but quite a bit comes down to training and
probably diet.  I started eating low carb about two years ago, and noticed
after the rough first month or two of riding that my legs no longer burned
on climbs.  (Overall speed and power took a hit during that transition, but
recovered and eventually surpassed previous levels.)   I've read as much
research as I can find on the subject, and apparently, fat adapted athletes
do a much better job recycling the lactic acid that causes muscles to
"burn".  Lactic acid metabolism isn't as efficient as burning glycogen, but
it does produce energy.  As a nice side effect, it doesn't build up to
levels that cause pain or muscle damage, at least not for me any more.  I
can ride hard enough to feel like throwing up, and my heart will be about
to explode, but my legs don't particularly hurt.  When I've gone too hard
for too long, my legs simply start to lose power. It feels like I'm
pressing the gas, and nothing happens.  (And I don't get any significant
muscle soreness a day or two later like I used to.)

>From my (evolving) understanding of exercise and cycling, there are
basically two main energy pathways for us humans:  Breaking down stored
fat, or burning glycogen, a stored form of sugar that requires minimal
oxygen for use.   At lower intensities, your body uses more fat burning, as
it takes 2-3x more oxygen to break down then glycogen.  As intensity
increases, you rely more and more on glycogen.  That's great, until you run
out of glycogen (Most folks only have ~2000 calories of glycogen available,
and it can't be replenished as fast as you can burn it.)   The whole goal
of aerobic training is to improve your bodies ability to burn fat, so that
you use a greater % of fat, and spare as much of the glycogen as possible
for high intensity efforts.

I know that like most carb fueled Americans, I was lousy at burning fat.
If I wasn't eating semi-regularly, I would get very hungry, and I didn't
have much endurance.  Regardless of any other aspects of a low carb diet, I
did get much better at burning fat.  I found that I could fast for a day at
a time without much hunger, and I haven't experienced a "bonk" like I had
before. Where I used to run out of energy after 1:30 to 2:00 of hard
riding, now I'm good for 2-3x as much, without any particular energy
intake.  (I get maybe 300 calories from my electrolyte drink mix over a 5
hour ride.)   I'm sure this isn't all due to low carb and focusing on
aerobic training, but I know I saw pretty rapid gains after somewhat
plateauing on my previous training much closer to my limits for shorter
rides.

I don't think low carb is perfect for all athletes, but for cycling,
especially long distance cycling it seems to have some real benefits.
(Research seems to show your peak power and explosive efforts take a bit of
a hit compared to a high carb diet.)

Cameron Murphy
San Marcos, CA