I removed the fenders from my Road Standard early this year after getting
frustrated with some noise issues. Two weeks ago I participated in an organized
ride, choosing the metric century option. With no fenders and warm temperatures
I decided not to bother with rain gear in spite of the 100% chance of rain. I
did take care to protect my leather saddle, top and bottom. The first 5 miles
took place through a downpour. It then slacked off to a drizzle and actually
stopped by mile 25, but shortly later resumed a steady rain for the duration. I
did not notice any road spray from my front  wheel reaching my face, although I
did get some from the rooster tails of those in front.  I keep a small Caradice
bag behind the saddle with a spare tube and tire repair kit in it. It has
zipper and flap with snaps. At the 40 Mille rest stop I happened to bump the
bag and water squirted out of a vent hole. The bag was full of water. Since
very little rain was hitting the bag from above, I assume spray from the back
wheel was forcing water under the flap and through the zipper, which was closed.