Follow up, in case anyone is playing “Fixed gear pedal retention” at home.
Grin.I emailed each of the companies with classic leather cycling shoes and
only heard back from one (Arturo shoe), and they only go up to size 11.5EE, so
too small for my flippers.

The ongoing testing of leather and stiffener insert is going surpurb. I’d
forgotten how quickly non-leather shoes stick up without socks. Sheesh. Whooof.
One day of riding without socks when already wet from the rain. It’s a special
kind of nose wrinkle. Like the difference between wool or cotton and
synthetics. Scrounged up a pair of moccasins from a few years back. They work
with the inserts, so I’ll try them on tomorrow’s ride. Also, Zero Shoes makes
the all leather upper shoe I have in size 14 for winter socks fitting, so I can
always get a pair of those in 12 and use the inserts. One way or another, it
looks like I’m set!

With stiffer shoes comes the question of pedals. Further testing required, but
the current default answer there is MKS Sylvan Touring with either HoldFast
straps (current system: I like them, but they have to be adjusted right or my
foot goes too far forward and then doesn’t want to come out easily) or toe
clips (yet to be tested).

With abandon,
Patrick