In short, I think the best solution is fat, low pressure tubeless tires for
off road, if you ride in goat head country. I personally am still a bit
leary of tubeless for pressures over 30 or 35 psi -- not from experience
but from reading -- but I am convinced that tubeless is the best for low
pressures if you use sealants for goatheads.

But again, with 50 psi in my Elk Passes, and tubes, and Orange Seal, I can
ride through goatheads and the sealant invariably works.