I'm with you, OP... don't jog! Especially as we age. Best thing to do is
get stronger and you don't get stronger with low intensity steady state
cardio. You get stronger by lifting heavy things. And IMO, the stronger we
are, not only do we look better, but recovery to injury is quicker, you are
sick less, immune system is stronger, less overall aging problems. You may
be skinny, but if you've got no muscle that's not doing you any good.
Scrawny, weak and feeble. Being able to run 10 miles isn't going to help
you when you are laid up in a hospital bed for weeks. And when you are
lifting weights and getting stronger, there is no need to deny yourself of
certain food groups if you don't want to. I was Paleo/low carb for the
better part of a decade. Yeah, it worked and most of the time it was pretty
easy, cause who doesn't like bacon!?... but it worked for one reason... it
satiates you and makes it easier to eat in a caloric deficit. Same with
Intermittent Fasting which I've also done. That 8 hour eating window just
makes it easier to consume less calories. At the end of the day, that's all
that matters... eat less. Don't be fooled by the self proclaimed youtube
gurus that try to tell you that you are training your body to burn fat,
your increasing fat burning hormones, bullet proof coffee, apple cider
vinegar or other such nonsense. Every single one of those guys have one
goal... make money. Modern day snake oil peddlers. Get on a solid weight
lifting program and you can go back to eating it all. Within reason of
course. I'll be 45 this summer and I finally got what I always wanted... a
six pack! And i'm not talking about the beverage. ;) I've been where you
guys are and I've learned a lot through it all. Only took me 10 years to
weed through all the B.S. and figure it out. I now lift 4-5 days a week and
track my calories/macros to make sure I'm getting the correct quantity and
ratios and the results have been amazing. And the same advice goes for you
ladies! No, you are not going to get "bulky". You are going to get strong,
lean and fit. Win. And don't get me wrong, I'm not poo-pooing on low carb.
You can still keep carbs relatively low if you'd like. The important thing
is getting the minimum amount of Protein and Fat. Once you've done that you
can fill the rest of your calories however you want. So eat your bacon and
don't jog. Instead, eat your bacon and lift heavy things! :)

Since ya'll are recommending books, look up Bigger Leaner Stronger by Mike
Matthews on amazon.