Love the Rippetoe book, his logic, and instruction.  10 years ago I started
following his method to get back to basics (squat, dead, bench, standing
military press).    He's got some great technique and teaching videos on
youtube.

Then I found the Jim Wendler 5-3-1 method about 6 years ago and really took
off with strength gains.  With 5-3-1, you figure out your maxes, then plug
them in to Wendler's formula to determine a month's worth of sets and reps
for your routine.  Refigure your maxes every 3 months.  HIGHLY
recommended.  No bulls* method that gives results and progression.

Then I (re)discovered kettlebell workouts, which I'm doing now.  Kbell
workouts are intense and short ... just the ticket for burning fat and
increasing strength.

   - 4 sets of single-arm swings
   - 4 sets of turkish get-ups
   - 4 sets of presses (one arm at a time to also stress your core)
   - (my addition) 4 sets of single-arm dumbbell curls, strict

I rotate that workout 3x/week with a 2x/week core routine.

Rotate between any set of good methods and you'll get results.  Run
endlessly on a treadmill for years on end and, well, you don't get anywhere
:)

Tom, who still loves to throw heavy stuff around...