I've been wanting a Hunq. For some time & I would probably be close to pulling
the trigger before 2019, but I am intrigued  by this latest development.

I too would dig the idea of threadless 1 1/8" steerers,Disk brakes & even thru
axels on my Riv; not so much because I prefer them, but because that's the
nature of the bike world right now.
I recently rehabbed an old Raleigh Mountain Tour & everything about it was a
headache. Finding economical 650B rims for rim brakes was a trial & I
eventually gave up & bought VO's. $69. Each, but I could have gotten nice disc
brake rims for $40. :-(
If Rivendell is going to build a Plus tired mountain bike they would either
have to have a rim made (read: proprietary) or go with a preexisting rim, most
of which are disc specific these days. If Rivendell bucked the trends in the
past in favor of the the tried & true, now they would be doing the opposite.
Why create some sort of new retro standard!?
All that said I'll most likely say "here, take my money" when this mystery bike
comes out and deal with the eccentricities as they come.
That or buy a Crust.
Still, in the context of other things & other models, it's perplexing. I'll
probably be in Walnut Creek the second week of August so maybe I can check out
this mythical beast