Man, I hope this doesn't come off as snotty because I definitely don't mean
it that way but, I'm not following your logic at all.

Why would a wider-than-currently-available rim brake rim be considered
"proprietary?!"  You realize don't you, that the ONLY reason 650b mountain
bike wheels and tires are even available in the first place is because
Rivendell alone wanted to make them happen?  (That's not an exaggeration.)
 Even 700c road tires wider than 28mm are directly attributable to
Rivendell, but now they're everywhere.

Similarly and almost as single-handedly, Rivendell has kept quality 25.4 &
26.0 handlebars and stems relevant and available.  Likewise, multiple forms
of improved and still-evolving rim brakes are still available ONLY because
Rivendell willed them into existence.

None of those things are 'proprietary' in the sense that they're the only
one who can use them, and many other companies and consumers do.   And
don't minimize the fashion-setting influence Rivendell still wields.
 Trends like 'gravel grinders,"  "monster cross," "adventure bikes," and
bike packing in general can all be traced directly back to Rivendell.  Not
to mention ANY road bike that actually *fits*.

This argument seems to be like religion in that, for people who have bought
into certain types of hype and who are financially invested in a new
technology, I will never be able to convince them otherwise.   But, as
someone who uses both, there is no question for me that canti/rim brakes
are superior to discs in many ways.    I'm not alone though.  Recall the
original concept for the joint Compass/Rawland Ravn project?  It was
intentionally conceived as  a rim brake bike because it would be lighter
and allow for a superior fork construction which would, in turn, achieve a
better ride quality.  They weren't able to pull off the construction at a
viable price-point, but others (i.e.: Crust) have since jumped in and built
slightly-lesser bikes around the tires and general concept.  They just took
the 'easy' route in terms of brakes.

I have zero doubt that once Rivendell (or Compass or Surly, for that
matter) makes a new product available, that others will either use it or
copy it.  Even if it makes you scratch your head when you first hear of
it.   That's been the case over and over and over  again.  (And on that
note, plus size tires aren't going anywhere.   They're the single best gift
to bikers since gears - especially for people who don't have time or desire
to hassle with the complexities or cost of active suspension.)

Meanwhile, it is a foregone conclusion that most or all of that current
technology, represented by the "nature of the bike industry right now" that
you speak of, actually WILL become obsolete "retro standards."

Cases in point:  I had a disc brake bike that utilized the 22mm Hayes
mounting standard, because it was the most established and promising at the
time.   Now, the ISS mounting standard is being obsoleted by post mount
standard.  Shimano is even doing their darnedest to kill the 6-bolt rotor
mounting standard.   Heck, they're even trying to kill the derailleur
hanger, for crying out loud, in favor of that 'direct-mount' thingy.   I
have multiple, very nice bikes that require a suspension forks with 1"
headsets, and are thus useless.   Nowadays, you can't even get a good fork
with 1 1/8" steerer, so more of my bikes will eventually become obsolete.
Not to mention, the length and rake dimensions of forks themselves, which
frames need to be designed around, change almost annually according to
consumers' travel expectation whims.   I have bikes designed around 43mm,
65mm, 80mm, 100mm, and 120mm travel.   Nowadays, 140 & 160mm is common even
on xc bikes.  I have mountain bikes with 126mm rear hubs, 130mm rear hubs,
145mm rear hubs, 170mm rear hubs, 135mm symmetrical front hubs, 135mm
asymmetrical front hubs, and every single one of them promised at one time
to be the final state-of-the-art development, and every one of them is
obsolete.   Even thru-axle standards are still changing.   Are we going to
settle on 12mm or 15mm for the front?  Anyone who thinks the SRAM-driven
"boost" width standard is anything more than a flash in the pan is deluding
themselves.   150mm 'super-boost' rear perhaps makes enough sense to have
staying power, but only a couple of bike companies are smart enough to
realize it, and they're not powerful enough to make it happen.  110mm front
spacing is equally ridiculous, especially when 142mm and SRAM's own damned
150mm standard already existed AND achieve symmetrical spoke tension. And
don't even get me started on bottom bracket standards, which are nowhere
near settled yet.

But you know what *has and will* stay relevant, available and functional
through all of the other noise?!:   1" threaded headsets; 100mm/135mm QR
hubs; rim brakes; and forks that don't wear out.  Perhaps I think of a
Rivendell as a bit too precious, but they're a big investment for me.  I
just can't understand why someone would intentionally want to buy ANY bike
that's disposable or that is destined to become obsolete.

Finally, here's one more ironic, historical piece of trivia that everyone
might not be aware of, to drive home some of these points:

Many of the engineering conflicts which keep the industry from going
straight to the logical conclusion in hub or bottom bracket or crank
standards, and which causes them to adopt all of these interim ones and
overly-complex engineering solutions in the first place, is derived from an
underlying and un-questioned goal of keeping the Q-factor of the cranks as
narrow as possible.  This despite the fact that it causes clearance
conflicts, and despite the fact that the knees of half or more riders would
be better served by a wider stance.   Well you know who first coined that
term, who equated a narrow Q-factor with "performance," and who made it
unfashionable to go wider?  Yup.  Even where he might not want it, Grant
seems to have outsized influence on bike design.

I think a wider rim-brake rim - if that's even where this is headed - will
find more than enough market acceptance.