Theoretically easier to adjust with the tools you're likely to have with
you on a trail, but a few weeks ago I took a poll at work, and it revealed
that in more than 100 years of cumulative riding on dirt and roads, nobody
has ever had a threaded headset come loose. It can happen, but probably
won't. We "went threadless" only because we wanted riders to be able to
swap parts from existing bikes (stems, bars--if 31.8 to match the stem).
Rather than having to buy the bars and stems from us. WHich--we'll have a
good assortment, but still.
The 73 shell, yes, so you can have a fatty tire not riding too close to the
chain. It's not a big problem with 68, but now and then when you're going
down a bouncy trail, the chain will flop into the tire and the tire will
drag it down toward the chainstay and won't let go until you stop. It
sounds worse than it is. You're going down the trail, and all of a sudden
it sounds like you've picked up the mother of all leaves, but the bike
still goes.
Also, if you want to use a single-ring crank and external bb, those are
optimized for 73mm shells.
The debate was: 73mm shells and threadless, or Carbon Fiber and shocks, and
the right ones won!