And for bonus points, does anyone have an idea of the thicknesses on my '90 RB-1? The brochure just says Ishiwata 022E quad-butted. I'm curious. :)

-nathan

On Mar 4, 2010, at 9:11 AM, reynoldslugs <be...@perrylaw.net> wrote:

Thanks for finding that... 8/6/8 for the larger sizes makes sense.
Now, for the last piece of the puzzle - and for the prize cigar and
kewpie doll - did Grant ever post the tubeset thicknesses for the
Rambouillet?  I looked back in old Readers and couldn't locate
anything.

On Mar 4, 7:31 am, Horace <max...@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: "gr...@rivbike.com" <grantmill...@gmail.com>

Date: Jul 9 2009, 1:21 pm

Subject: Frame-Bike Plans (some)

To: RBW Owners Bunch

Newlite Roadbike. TheROADEO<---final name, final spelling, thanks

for all your input and don't take offense.

This is really Mark's bike, by which I mean he asked for it/ suggested

it as a bike for clubbies. He's a club rider a couple of days a week,

and rides his cross bikes--which to me are light enough, at 19-20lb,

even with fatty tires (and he's still the fastest by a good margin,

and the humblest). But he sees his fellow clubbies buying road bikes

with carbon this and that, and was thinking hmm, they should get a

nice lugged steel bike, and if we made it light enough and roadynuff

they probably would.

Originally,'twas gunnabe for short reach brakes, but nobody here

really rides with those anymore, so, with some input from Jay's,

they'll use standard reach brakes, which means...about 56mm reach,

about like the 'bouillet.

TUBING: The goal is a clubbie bike, so it's going to be clubbie light,

and it should, ideally, be ridding by somebody who is, if not clubbie

light, at least knows how to ride light. A Nureyev-like 225-pounder

who lifts over bumps and veers around pothholes and rides 32mm tires

at 85psi rides lighter than a Nagurski-like 150-pounder who rides 23mm

tires at 115psi and hits everything with a stiff body and locked arms.

So, it's hard to give this bike a weight limit. I should point out

that you aren't buying an engine with this bike; you're supplying the

engine, and it's good to somewhat match the engine's weight with the

frame's weight.

OK: Up to 57cm, the main tube butts are 0.65, with 0.4bellies. Bigger

than that, 0.8 butts with 0.6bellies. It's superstrong heat-treated

steel, so strength isn't much of an issue. Flex is more of an issue,

but nobody really anymore believes that flexless frames are the goal

(I never have). A more rigid frame matters if you're toting weight,

but not as much if you aren't, and as we introduce this as a

superlight clubbie-bike, its flex-under-a-touring-load shouldn't

matter.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RBW Owners Bunch" group. To post to this group, send email to rbw-owners- bu...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch?hl=en .