Things to consider when overthinking the relationship between the tube
cross sections in relation to a bike's ride and the physical abilities
of the frame.  I am speeking from my own conclusions in progress,
based on armchair engineering and too much re-reading of BQ.  Bicyle
frames while appearing basic are really a fairly complex collection of
three dimensional tubes with more possible combinations than I can
really get my head around.

As Grant was quoted above the way you ride will play a huge roll.

How you pedal, natural cadence etc. may or may not have a certain
synergy with different bicycles in different conditions.

Heat treated steels will flex to a greater extent without plastic
deformation than a non heat treated steel, and therefore are used in
lighter or thinner sections, but the tube OD is generally increased to
moderate flex.  So does that infer that I can bounce around on my
Roadeo, it will flex more, but not retain a cold set from the
bending?  Do I want to experiment with a $2k inventment and increased
risk?  hell yeah, otherwise i would buy a bike build out of 1mm
straight gage and have giant legs.

It is common knowledge that a surly cross check is overbuilt as a
cross bike.  Where does the Legolas fit in?  How far is a Roadeo from
a Legolas?  or a Sachs for that matter? and what kind of abuses is one
willing to put into the bike with respect to replacement cost and
personal risk?

Back to the OP's question, I would still love to have all the historic
data to, overthinking it is part of the fun

Rob

P.S. something like this:
http://www.olympus-ims.com/en/35/
would let you disect a frame with tube thicknesses 0.5mm and greater,
even map out the butts, I keep meaning to ask Jan if they can get
their hands on one, he made his way into a wind tunel for goodness
sake he should be able to get one of these.