Jeremy, I had the Honjo H-27 (36mm per Alex's Cycles) hammered fenders from
a lister over 28s and the Shimano dual pivot "long reach" calipers to
start.

Then I added a pair of Stampede Pass ELs and a dent from a tri-dork who
rear ended me in urban traffic while on the aero bars. it was enough of a
tweak I had to replace them and went the long ones from Compass in 40 mm
width, the H-50. My old front one had been bodged to be clear and sort of
rattle free from the caliper, except not while braking ironically. That
really nailed the need for the Paul Racers as well.

Now I am free and clear of all fender and caliper concerns within the
clearances of my frame, stop like a demon and with an added mudflap up
front have ridden 80 miles in the rain on a rail trail with zero trashing
of the drivetrain. It's a very good situation and encourages more frequent
use.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh