Andy brings up an excellent point, and so I’ll break out the basics of a
temperature guide for the different fabrics (shift 10-20˚F depending on your
own comfort levels at cold or warm temps):

Raining in the 70’s and up: no jacket.

50’s and 60’s: The more humid it is, the hotter any jacket is going to feel,
but if raining, the hybrid will be most comfortable/effective, with double
ventile and cotton analogy being warmer, but easily controled via ventilation
and removing layers. I’ve learned I like the stiffness of the wet hood against
hail. Sardonic grin. Single ventile will keep you dry in a shower, but will
soak/seep through after only 5-15 minutes.

20’s through 40’s: Hybrid, double ventile, and Cotton analogy all roughly equal
at temp management and external moisture protection. Being wet in these temps
is a real danger zone, for if one has to stop for whatever reason while wet,
cold is rapidly magnified. This is the temp range I find cotton analogy excells
at actively removing moisture from exhertion, keeping me drying inside so that
if I stop, I dry off rather quickly. Fishnet longjohn top is very helpful with
moisture/temp management here as well.

Teens and below: At these temps, exterior moisture isn’t the issue. Wind and
interior moisture are the challenges. Any windblocking layer that breaths well
works excellently here. A standard canvas jacket works. The only key here is
managing insulative layers to exhertion level, so less while riding, more when
stopped. Moisture management becomes critical at temps below zero F because if
you are damp inside while exherting and have to stop, you will enter
hypothermia very quickly. So having extra layers to add quickly is essential,
as is proper ventilation. This is also where fishnet longjohn shirt is very
helpful.

With abandon,
Patrick