I did not know Berthoud made different lengths.I got mine from Peter WHite
Cycles.  My Berthoud's were shorter than a pairs of VO or Honjo long
fenders I have installed. You can install, ride and then see. Ben's cycles
sells individual fender stays if you need just one.

As for 700c, I am of the opinion tha a conversion almost always includes a
compromise. The bike was designed for 700c wheels and it will perform its
best being used how it was designed to be used. Just an opinion and nothing
against 650b.

We live in relatively the same area ( I am in SE PA) and my ridng over the
last 15 years went from skinny tire road bike, to fat tired road bike and I
have landed at meduim tire road 32mm or 35mm tire) bikes for the following
reasons;

I primarily ride paved roads. I don't need massive tires for comfort.
I don't like the way tires that are too big feel. Subjective, yes but I
like a bit of road feel. Earsing it is not my primary goal.
I don't carry big loads. Even when I have done 200k rando events, I fit
everthing I needed in an Acorn seat bag. I travel light because to me, it
is more fun.
I don't like to carry unneccesaary weight. It makes riding less fun.

Allof this is just an opinion and not meant to make anyone in the group
irrate!