Give me the worst case scenario for this worry.  If you buy a Gus Boots
Willsen today and are sincerely worried about specific components, you
should buy a couple extra of those specific components.  What are they?
The only ones I can envision are wide enough rim brake rims in 584.  Buy
three extra rims if you are really that worried.  Have you ever had to
discard a bike because you could no longer buy a critical part for it?
There are certainly components that have become obsolete, but none of them
have resulted in throwing away a frame.  Least of all Rivendell Bicycle
Works has never made a frameset that is now obsolete due to their inability
to source parts.  You are free to worry over whatever you want to worry
over, obviously, but I think this particular worry is manageable, unless
your worry about components is code for "I don't want to buy that
bicycle".

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito CA