My turn to chime in. I just couldn't go out in the mid-September humidity
and ride this afternoon so I'll write here instead. I will first say that
yesterday when my 8 year old saw it he said "WOW, cool!!!"

I also think it's very cool, and if I hadn't just got a new Atlantis this
year it would be something to consider for a burly commuter and occasional
off-roader. I'm in Indianapolis and there are very few hills here, but
nevertheless I've built and ridden many similar-style vintage MTBs from the
80s as light trail bikes, touring bikes, commuters, etc. And I've built
three for friends just in the last two years and got them riding bikes
again. So I totally agree that there is a reason to build a sturdy MTB-like
bike for the 90% of us who ride mellow off road (or in areas of the country
without major trails) and might also just like the sturdy cruiser style.
This could be a killer commuter.

I'm not in the market for this bike right now mostly for budget reasons (I
have six working bikes, none of which I want to part with) but also because
I recently built something sorta similar to use when I do make it to
trails. I have a 2016/17? Raleigh Pardner that I got off the ibob list last
year. It's a simple, steel framed, 4-inch fat bike with low-level Shimano.
I solved the low head tube problem with a surly fork (uncut) and some riser
bars. It doesn't have the long chain stays, but it does have a slack
geometry and a long wheelbase relative to its size. Not the same bike at
all, but another simple bike with big tires that can handle everything my
47 year old body can do. The only problem I have with this bike is keeping
the disc brakes working and not constantly dragging the pads! The Boots
would be a much smoother and cooler version I'm sure. I just saying that I
totally understand the concept and I think that, in a very Grant/Riv way,
lots of other riders will dig this concept too if they gave it a shot.

I understand the worry about parts (and I've had to work a bit to build the
rim brake bikes I own lately), but other than rims, I can't imagine
anything is a real worry. And there are plenty of 650b touring bikes out
there that will need sturdy rims in the future, rims that will work well
with this bike. I put 5, 10, and 30 year old parts on my new Atlantis this
summer along with a new 1x10 setup. So much fun to mix and match.

Lastly, I'd also like to point out that Grant's post and pics are crazy in
today's modern marketing and Insta environment. That particular bike is
huge and the set up is just plain ugly, especially the black bits and bars
(obviously needs a Bull Moose or the new wavie?). No other company would
ever allow a new bike to be released this way, especially one this
innovative and experimental. I personally love Riv for this, but if it was
carefully built with all the coolest stuff and posed and shot by a pro (no
offense to the photographers at Riv!) I think there would be less
hand-ringing over it's aesthetics. Just saying.

Ride on!
Brynnar