Okay, so carbon bashing is done...I say we morph this topic into
something more useful, or at least more cathartic for all involved--
how about strangest or most bizarre component failure of any kind
(maybe also some field repairs). I'm thinking in the spirit of the new
Reader piece on the spoke that broke and landed in a chain link.

Here's mine: (not super strange, but whatever)
I parked my bike in front of the English building where I was teaching
for the day. There was a huge ice storm and when I came out my bike
was a block of ice. I actually really enjoy this because I get to kick
off big chunks of ice to free everything up. Anyway, I start riding
and am going down a big hill that I always shift into my big ring for
and snap! my Front changer broke off. I guess it was a little too
frozen. It wasn't even that old. I loosened up the little cage bolt,
slid it out from the chain, and rode home in the middle ring. I kept
it for a while to show people, but realized fast that nobody much
cared and tossed it.
I also had an old Suntour rear changer explode on my way to the
grocery store once. I gathered the pullies, but couldn't find the
bolts. Got home using wire twist ties from the produce section as temp
"bolts" that didn't work so well, but I got home!

     Scott "It was sunny and nice for a couple of hours this morning,
and now it is going to rain" Lutz