Thinking more clearly, one of the bikes that just "felt" right from the
beginning was a porky Herse -- earlier owners had dumped it because of its
(for them) excessively stout tubing. Despite the weight penalty, it was one
of those bikes that seemed to require a cog 1 tooth smaller. Too bad that
the handling wasn't up to my benchmark Rivendell standards.

The gofast just feels fast, but (as above) it's not just the 7 or 8 lb
weight saving over my almost identical '03, which fits and is set up the
same -- this one has all the accoutrements: racks, fenders, dyno lighting,
and so forth. That is wonderful, but it doesn't feel as fast as the gofast.

I know about adjustments. My Rivs have Qs of 130 mm; my Matthews has a Q of
160. I get on the Matthews after riding the Rivs for a week, and it feels
awkward -- for about 500 feet. (Tho' I would happily reduce the Q by 10 or
20 mm if I could.) And there's the fixed versus free adjustment; the
Matthews is the only bike of 3 that has a freewheel.

I'd expect taller wheels to roll easier, all else equal; certainly, the 20"
wheels on the Dahon Hon Solo feel more sluggish, but then we are comparing
Tioga PowerBands with Elk Passes and Big Ones. Funny, I am beginning to
think that the Big Ones (700C C 60) roll better even than the Compass Elk
Passes, 559 X 29.

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 5:34 PM, Bill Schairer <commut...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> Admittedly, my experience with different bikes is limited compared to many
> but, between the two bikes I ride regularly, there is probably a 10 lb or
> so difference and they both go just fine.  The lighter one is set up with
> granny half step gearing and so is easier to get just the right gear and
> maybe go faster.  My Atlantis, the heavier, has half steps but they require
> double shifts and I am much more likely to feel bogged down on it BUT, on
> the days where the gearing happens to be just right, I’ve set some of my
> PR’s on Strava.  The one I’ve ridden the most recently is usually the one
> that feels the best until I adjust on the other after a few rides and then
> it feels the best.
>
> Ride a fully loaded tandem for two weeks then get on your single and it
> will be practically uncontrollable until you adjust.  I think the same when
> switching singles just less dramatic.  I bought a junker Windsor off CL for
> the parts.  The first time I rode it, I couldn’t stand it.  Rode it a
> couple more times and, you know what, it wasn’t half bad.  I adjusted.
>
> I’ve ridden my son’s plastic bike and a friend’s Seven Ti, both far ligher
> than anything I have with fancy wheels etc and, while I loved the Seven
> (perfect fit) and hated the plastic (admittedly the fit was not great), I
> didn’t feel faster on either going up down or somewhere in between.  Both
> had compact doubles which I simply detest - my best gears are the most
> cross chained with an awkward shift right  in the middle.  So, I guess I
> need to get a Seven with a granny and half step and see if I still agree
> with myself.  I look from time to time, grin. Regardless, unless they are
> set up exactly the same, I think I (the I emphasized somehow) can’t tell
> nothin.
>
> Now, my Bike Friday is slower. It just doesn’t have the roll.  Small
> wheels or is it the IGH?
>
> Bill

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique