Ugh…sorry you had to experience that, but it’s all over.

im not much of a poster here these days, but my now 16 year old boy* spent
10 years on the back of our kid adapted tandem(s) // we live in a rural
part of Western Mass and i was glad at all the stupidity hurled in our
direction, as well as the  genuinely lovely things and gestures people made
when they’d see us riding, both here and when we’d take the tandem into NYC.

I taught my boy that i believe in non-violence but that i make exceptions
[yes i’m a [benign] (cycling) sociopath who likes parentheses). And
sometimes i modeled less than stellar behavior back at the yellers.  But i
have no regrets. It’s part of being a parent.

It was a learning opportunity for both of us, i was able to say ‘let’s come
up with some good responses that run the gamut’ and also to explain that we
could get killed at any minute, any time, not just from hostile jerks.  And
i taught him how to use a mirror, how to say peculiar things, how to say
nothing, how to wave inappropriately as if deranged [that’s one of the best
strategies, a super enthusiastic wave, as if it’s your long lost grandpa in
the car].  And also, using the mirror, the excellent Grant P strategy of
moving a little awkwardly as they come up behind you, so they give you a
slightly wider berth.

I rode my kid on the back of a tandem every day for many years when he was
especially young, and in addition to being hassled by drivers, was hassled
by cops a few times.

It became a math lesson too, what % of drivers were fine VS % that hassled
us, and that was a way to de-escalate for us.

And we practiced a few times emergency ditching, crashing the tandem, etc.

So mostly it was great opportunity to show not tell, and the unmediated kid
raising time on the bike was and is the best time we have together.  Go
forth and ride w your kiddos, and the best piece of safety equip i have is
a mirror.  Oh, and I like a stainless steel bottle. Just in case.

* he now rides a Bruce Gordon barn find which was too big for me /and is
sometimes the stoker on the back of our Riv tandem wherein he tries to
break the speed limit [he rows crew, does MMA, and builds stone walls; is
super strong]

Ron, Western MA