My Great Uncle and my Dad both had darkrooms in their basements. Ah, that
sour chemical smell! Takes me back to 1974.
My Great Uncle served in WWII in Bermuda (the whole war), and iirc,  and
did photography for the Army, who were decoding Japanese intercepted
messages or something like that.

My Uncle and Dad were enthusiasts back in the 40's-80's. They were always
outdoors laying in the grass on their sides or backs holding their cameras
at odd angles trying to get the shot they wanted of the flowers, or us
kids, or other relatives. I should post some of them. My Uncle took a shot
of me chalking the sidewalk at two years old and it won for best pic in the
Baltimore Sun. My other Uncle took lots of shots of what appeared to be
dilapidated Baltimore housing. He and my dad were later into taking pics of
what I thought were very odd things. Like a corner in the ceiling of a
stairwell. Seemed like they liked intersecting lines and how shadows and
light played upon them.

I never got into photography myself, but I still remember the metallic
smell of the camera components, when they would let me shoot.