I've owned both - 52 L and 55 Chev - and your impressions are correct. Two
things to consider:

1. The Clem L "toptube" is noticeably lower than the Cheviot's. They're both
out of the way for planting a foot quickly on the trail, but if you're looking
to use that feature to step onto the bike - say, to avoid swinging a leg over a
big saddlebag - the Chev tube was high enough for my stubby legs to qualify as
not really being different from a diamond frame for me.

2. The v-brakes that came stock on my L were significantly stronger
(translating to easier hand pressure) than the long-reach Tektro calipers I
used on the Chev. They also limit tire size compared to the Clem. Granted,
there's other side- and center-pull brakes out there which I may have liked
better.

Conclusion: They're both nice bikes. Cheviot is more of a road bike to Clem's
mtb-ish vibe, but the one can do pretty much anything the other can do. I would
say pick your brakes, tire size, standover, price and color, and have fun!