Out of curiosity, I scanned the brochure to see what it recommended for
tires size with fenders.
But it didn't say what max should be with fenders that I could see.

But I think 28 max would be right. Safer clearances for sure.
With my 32's on there, it looks like a tire could rub if wheel goes out of
true.

Interestingly, the brochure says 700 x *38c* max *without *fenders. That is
huge for a road bike, especially back then.

The copy reads funny. Like almost makes it sound like the bike *should be*
ridden with 28mm tires, minimum, which I am happy to do.
I would not want to go any narrower.