This is all so much to think about.... thank you everyone.  I'm
particularly appreciative of the run down on gearing.  You're right, this
is something the could determine crank choice, and so is something I should
think about a little more deeply before pulling the trigger.

I really wish I could remember where I read that bit about aluminum
weakening over age.  I feel like it had to be a RR issue somewhere in the
mid-20s.  Regardless, sounds like it's not something to fret over.  But it
also sounds like going vintage would contradict my desire for a 11sp STI
drivetrain.  Unless, that is, I was to swap out the rings it came with.

I've never heard of the High Sierra cranks.  They look great.  Thanks for
the link.

Sounds like the WI VBC might be the way to go should I find myself able to
deal with the black rings.