Somebody claimed to have read somewhere that aluminum weakens over time.

Patrick Moore asked for more details, and sounds skeptical.

I took my materials science classes a fairly long time ago, but you are
right to be skeptical, Patrick Moore.  Aluminum most certainly does NOT
change material properties with just time.  Aluminum does weaken with USE
(repeated cyclical loading).  You do not need to throw away your 20 year
old cranks just because they are old.  You have to throw them away because
you ride an ENORMOUS number of miles and apply MASSIVE torque to them.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA