I certainly can't speak from an engineering perspective but I think I'd
personally want that 3cm gap to be filled.  Although I'd feel ok in the
short term with the stem and steerer both being steel if just testing fit
with a few short rides and I'd likely go ahead and ride it as-is before
going to the trouble of finding or making my own full sized shim.  But if
deciding to keep that setup longer term I try to get a properly sized shim
to fill all the space.

I have a trashed steel frame from which I already cut and filed some small
shims from the middle of the downtube for a threaded 1" headset that needed
some space taken up.  It's seamed tubing and I'd probably just try cutting
a single full length 7cm shim from that same downtube and cut the split at
the seam to help eliminate some filing and sanding.  If I didn't have this
trashed frame I guess cutting down another 4cm alloy shim to the required
length is the other logical alternative.

I'm not necessarily opposed to such hacks but I'd have some reservations
with that excess air space between stem and steerer.  For some reason I
feel like I'd be a little more confident even if the steerer itself was a
bit shorter if both steerer and stem were a matching 1" spec.  I have no
educated basis for this and ymmv, of course.

Brian Cole
Lawrenceville, NJ