The poster previously known as Michael Levan, now known as Lum Gim Fong
asked "Why not?" swap out my Leo Roadini for a different bike made of 6/4/6
tubing.  He said I can have the fit and handling of a Leo Roadini, so I
assume he means that he is recommending that I order a Custom Rivendell
made with Leo Roadini geometry but with lighter, flexier tubing.  Assuming
that is what he is recommending, then the list of Why Nots would include:

1. The Leo Roadini was $900, and a Rivendell Custom is $3500
2. A frame that weighs one pound less would make me plus my bike weigh 0.5%
less.  I would be 0.5% faster on climbs, exactly the same speed on flats,
and very slightly slower on descents.. In order to measure these things, I
would have to do a detailed statistical analysis of Strava data.  In other
words, I would not look for it ,and not looking for it would mean I would
not find it.

Alternatively, Michael Levan (Lum Gim Fong) might have meant "why not buy a
Roadeo instead?".  The list of "why nots" for a Roadeo would include:

1. The Leo Roadini was $900, and a Roadeo is $2600.
2. A Roadeo is a road race bike.  I'm not a road racer, and I don't use my
Leo Roadini on road racing type rides.  I don't do 'club races'.  I don't
do local crits.  The extra stability and comfort of a Leo Roadini are not
detriments (for me).
3.  A frame that weighs one pound less would make me plus my bike weigh
0.5% less.  I would be 0.5% faster on climbs, exactly the same speed on
flats, and very slightly slower on descents.. In order to measure these
things, I'd have to do a detailed statistical analysis of Strava data.  In
other words, I would not look for it ,and not looking for it would mean I
would not find it.

I get it that ML(LGF) for years dwelled on flexy tubing bikes, presumably
from reading Jan Heine stuff.  Jan Heine knows that the weight of the bike
doesn't matter.  Jan Heine prefers the feel of a flexier bike, but
acknowledges that is an extremely nuanced, very subtle feeling.  The fact
that ML(LGF) claims dramatic differences in 'feel' and large (~10%)
differences in speed tells me that ML(LGF) wants his Roadeo to be a LOT
faster, and so it is.  If you want your newest, lightest, raciest bike to
be the best thing ever, you can easily convince yourself it is true.
Personally, I want to have a huge stable of bikes. I want them to all be
awesome in their own way. I want them all to be fun to ride and I want to
enjoy all of them, and so I do. Human beings can convince themselves of all
sorts of things, including me. I'm anticipating the day when ML(LGF) finds
a used STANDARD DIAMETER 7/4/7 bike and finds that is EVEN BETTER than his
Roadeo.

There are things about the Roadeo that are distinctly desirable, and if you
want one, and can afford one, you should buy one and try to enjoy it. I
have no doubt in my mind that if I buy a Roadeo down the road I will enjoy
it. There is no chance whatsoever that I'll be 10% faster on it. There are
things that are distinctly desirable about the Leo Roadini, and if you want
one and can afford one, you should buy one and try to enjoy it.  If you are
incapable of enjoying a Leo Roadini, that says something about you, not the
bike.  Don't get me wrong.  There are objectively bad bikes out there.  The
Leo Roadini is not one of them.  The Roadeo is a great bike also.
Different, but also great. I'm happy for ML(LGF) that he found a used
Roadeo at a price he wanted to pay. I'm glad he enthusiastically likes it.
It bums me out that he needs to insist that all his previous Rivendells
'fought him on hills'. I think his other bikes are also great and deserve
to be enjoyed. If he can no longer enjoy them, I hope he moves them to
people who can.

Bill 'defender of all bikes' Lindsay
El Cerrito CA