El pantalon is Spanish, though it might well be a borrowed, everyday word
in the Philippines. Salawal is the Tagalog (I had to look it up; tho' half
Filipino, mi madre/aking ina (looked that up too) never taught us Tagalog
or Bikol, which was her native language, spoken in Sorsogon province, where
she came from.

Erl: was there such a thing as a pantaloon singular? What would anyone do
with a single leg covering, unless your were Long John Silver or a
Dufflepud? Inquiring minds want to know.

Patricio Moore y Loilo

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 6:05 PM Ed Fausto <emfau...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Erl,
> That’s interesting.
> Do you know that “pantalon” is the Filipino word for pants :-)
>

> > On 15 Nov 2018, at 8:23 AM, WETH <erlhous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Patrick,
> > I think it is pants from a pair of pants which is a shortened form of
> “pantaloons.”  Pantaloon was a singular leg cover hence a pair of
> pantaloons or “pants.”  I think the term eye glasses must have evolved
> similarly.
> > All the best,
> > Erl “Who explained Fortnight (the time span not the game) for a
> colleague today” Houston
> >
> > --

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique