If you want to save money, look at Chainreactioncycles. Their Shimano stuff
is often amazingly cheap. I'm guessing you could get an 11 speed crank,
shifter, derailer, and chain for <$250. Maybe less than $200, depending on
what's in stock.

The 11 speed stuff I've looked at (Shimano mtb) has a different bolt circle
than traditional cranks. So, you're probably only going to find 11 speed
rings for them. These will be narrower than your 8 speed chain. You could
run an 8 speed chain on it, but it will fit loosely, and will be more
likely to come off.

Eric