I preferred riding fixed without retention but with grippy shoes and platform
pedals. Off road I’d double down on the lack of retention. I need to disengage
from the pedal quickly if I’m going down and already have life lung damage to
one ankle to show for it. Just my experience but clipless or straps off road
don’t make much sense to me especially fixed.

-J