Bill,

Last year (mid-2017), I decided to up my Eroica California (EC) 2018 stakes
and signed up for the the 89-mile Coastal Route (89 miles, 7000' of
climbing) this April 15, after riding the EC 40-miler in 2016 and 2017.
This April, I was only able to complete 62 miles and about 5000' of the
Coastal Route before being swept off the road at 5:00 pm. I had ridden 731
miles training for it--in retrospect, clearly not enough training miles,
not enough climbing work, and not enough dirt/gravel road work, either. (I
started my serious training in August, 2017, for EC 2018.)

My EC 2018 success-and-failure (successes = not injuring myself and having
a great time riding significantly farther and harder than I had at EC 2017;
failure = not completing the Coastal Route) spurred my 2018 goal--to try
the EC Coastal Route again in 2019 but significantly increase my pre-event
training. So far in 2018--since April 15, 2018--I have ridden 1137 miles on
my Eroica bike, a 1970s Windsor Profesional with wide (28mm F, 32mm R) 700C
clinchers. With four months to go, it is possible that I will double my
pre-Eroica 2019 training miles over EC 2018. I am looking. forward to
riding 1-2 centuries before EC 2019 on April 6, 2019.

I am losing weight and losing belly inches--both a little bit at a time--
as I firm up and work myself into better shape, and am having more fun,
especially since the ir cleared up last week and I can get back on my bike
after a three-week layoff!

Jon Spangler
Alameda, CA 94501