I've had a Gransfurs hatchet in the house since my son was 10 or so. He's
14 now and still has all his digits. I showed him early on what he could do
with it, how sharp it is. He especially likes how you can do pretty precise
wood shaving with it if you hold it at the head. We have a couple of the
knives that Riv sold/sells here too. He likes how you can do broader work
with the axe and fine tune with the knives. Now my daughter is 10. The axe
kind of scares her, she's not into it, but she likes carving and whittling
with the knives. I recently scored a 6 lb long handled splitting axe at a
flea market for $10. That is my favorite new tool. The kids stay away from
that and my son makes "Here's Johnny!" jokes when I handle it, but it
splits logs like nobody's business.

Regarding Jerry Garcia: I didn't know that he was missing a finger. Not a
head, but I like em. Wondering how you axe off a middle finger without
getting the others. I guess if things are arranged just so.

Bill in Westchester, NY