Thanks for all the thoughtful responses.  Yes, I do let my kid ride his
bike around DC in our neighborhood, mostly on sidewalks.  The safety and
experience perspective others have offered applies for him.  He has been
taught what to do and when and I trust that he will do what's right when
he's by himself.  I have taught him that being safe from cars is 100% his
responsibility. My experience is that he's far more responsible when on his
own than with a pack of other boys his age where he seems compelled to do a
"hold my beer and watch this."

On the knife angle, he got a Swiss Army knife when he turned 8, and within
30 seconds of opening it from the package gave himself a nice slice in the
finger.  But it happened only once and now he's very careful while using it
and other sharp objects.

I never knew it, but I am a "lazy" parent per the above definition.

Steve