On 12/9/18 10:48 AM, William R. wrote:
Ok. I did go out this morning to test the new setup. Quite cold this morning in the north east. I sought out every climb I could think of to stay warm and test the 40t cog. All was going great until it wasn't! Smooth shifting, no noise, a good climbing gear. And then wammo! Low speed, mid-climb and "SNAP!" suddenly I was pedaling air. On initial inspection it was clear that my chain had broken. Right where I added the four cogs. Secondary inspection revealed that the upper pulley wheel had come into contact with the 40t cog and had veered to the inside, dumping my chain into the gap between cog and spokes.

Carefully inspect the spokes where that happened.  It's possible the chain damaged the spokes when it fell behind the cassette -- I've had that happen -- and they may break later on.  If you see any signs of damage you might save yourself an awkward situation by having the spokes replaced before you're left stranded.

--
Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia