I recovered from a leg injury using my (then) bike and became absorbed and
got into the business. I rode a series of flat bar, drop bar, and odd bar
(Bridgestone) bikes over the time. In my life's next stage, in my late
thirties, I agreed to join a trio of folks riding across the country in
motel and diner mode and accepted the reality that my RB-1 just didn't fit
enough for riding 8-12 hours a day. I had a production budget but
unfortunately long legs and short torso.

I looked for an under-square frame until a custom endeavor loomed and
called Grant for advice. He said my lead time was too short for a custom,
but he had the perfect bike for me, it was production and in shipping
containers, en route to California. He described the purposely short top
tube, 2cm hear tube extension and 2° upslope of the top tube. He actually
related inspiration from the French rando bikes, including the model's
name; Rambouillet.

It arrived the night before I had to meet the others in Yorktown, VA, I
sadly readied my XO-2 as the back-up. Instead I got to use Yorktown to
Jamestown as my shakedown ride to set the bar and seat positions. The
Rivendell riding position ethos was bliss out of the box and my cohorts on
Serottas built by their local pro bike guru were all stretched out, 3" drop
to their bars and Dura Ace or Ultegra racing triples with STI.

Over the miles I was careful not to gloat over how nice my bike rode. I was
entirely well cared for on our long days in the saddle and much more able
to handle the terrain as it presented itself, without a post-ride crippling
to shake off like them.

The real validation came the day after my 39th birthday in south central
Colorado foothills when I had a rear tire blowout from a puncture while
descending at a pretty high speed. Flats usually happen with enough time to
slow down and safely roll to a stop before they are uselessly floppy, not
this time. I had a few curves in front of me and not enough width of road
to negotiate with the immediately empty rear tire which rolled out from
under the rim, let the bike yaw and launched me high-side onto the fresh
granite chip-top road surface.

One of my cohorts was behind me and rode off the road and flatted herself.
the other two were far enough away that they were unaware for a while.
Several of the spots where I touched the road on the way to a stop was a
bad abrasion called an avulsion and my left shoulder was "not right" as my
fellow rider pointed out as I changed and pumped up her tire after fixing
mine. The others rejoined us and were very concerned but among the four of
us we had three cell carriers and zero signal bars, had deep gray clouds
approaching from the west hadn't seen a vehicle in hours and one of them
was going into shock. My idea was to ride to the next town.

I pulled my jersey hem up over my shoulder to sling my arm and rode away.
The comfortable, non-physically contorting fit of my Rambouillet made the
next 42 miles an easy ride. My trip ended with on a detour to Colorado
Springs and a flight home. The shoulder doctor put me on a couple weeks
light duty while my avulsions healed so he could better appraisals how
things were working. I knew I had a separated shoulder, he wanted to assess
further mechanical dysfunction beyond that.  The Rivendell riding position
on my bike also facilitated tolerating riding sooner than later. I'm a fan
of the fit to say the least.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh