I'll chime in regarding my mileage tracking...I use a combo of gaiagps and
google maps for route planning if its just a "bumbling around" ride or my
regular commute (no need to record those). However, I'll use a garmin watch
when I'm training to get a better idea of distance, pace, grades, etc.

I have a training/riding log I fill out in excel that more or less matches
Steve's physical calendars. Having a log of general feeling, quantity of
sleep, some details on nutrition, stress and weather can give context to
your (in my case) injury recovery and general fitness improvements.

<3 Collin