Rereading that, I should have clarified that I feel like there wasn't anything
on the tire for the snow to bite into, due to the lack of tread...

Also, on the clipless pedals: I had a pair of Crank Brothers Eggbeater pedals
before, and the design seems like it would be very clog-resistant, mud or
snow... I've used Time Expresso(sp?) pedals before too, and I remember them
trying to market those to cyclocross because of the mud-shedding nature.  The
few times I had mud in my cleats with those, I did notice more difficulty
clipping in, but they never actually failed to.