Nice looking bike! I remember test riding one of those when they came out,
but it wasn't different enough from my Univega at the time to justify
buying. I eventually got a Columbus SL Guerciotti, and then... 14 years
later, a Romulus.

As far as the downtube shifters go -- once you're used to them, it's a
non-issue. Kind of like driving a manual transmission car. If you're happy
with barends, though, those are fine too. I left the barends on my Romulus
for the first year and a half, but when I changed the handlebar tape, I put
on DT shifters.

Horace.