In my experience metal fenders are definitely not quieter than plastic, and
take some extra tinkering to achieve a similar noise level.  Leather
washers help, as does an extra attachment point over the front if it
extends far forward.  The noise is also different in nature: metal rings
while plastic makes more of a clacking sound.  The ringing is more invasive
to my ears.  I haven't found that the Honjos wrap more than a couple inches
more of the rear wheel than my SKS fenders do.  For both, if I want a nice
tight fender line I need to deflate the tire to remove or replace the
wheel.  After doing that a couple times I decided that I could aim for nice
but not tight :-D  All my plastic fenders are 10 to 30 years old, and none
of them are as even or nice as the metal fenders, but from 10' away and
moving 10+ mph they look FINE.  I would be curious to know if anyone has
mounted plastic fenders using the mounting system from the Honjos.  That
could possibly achieve the more finished look with the quieter material.