There are two ways you and "clean up" the fender line on the rear of that
Trek, if you wish:  One way is get a small plastic spacer from the hardware
store (they come in different diameters and lengths) and install it between
the fender and the chain stay, using a longer bolt.  This will probably
necessitate letting the air out of the rear tire to remove the wheel, which
can be a pain.  But that's the way mine are and I've learned to live with
it.  Or you can use a longer bolt and install a spring between the fender
and the chain stay.  The springs, too, are available in different sizes
from the hardware.  That way, when you want to remove the rear wheel you
can just push it forward, compressing the spring, in order to get enough
clearance.  If the chain stay is not threaded, but just drilled, be sure to
install a self locking nut on the end of the bolt to keep it from loosening.