Roberta

You've received several very good viewpoints on fenders themselves.  The
perspective you have not received yet is that your fender thoughts probably
should include and maybe should begin with the bicycle itself.  Some bikes
take fenders really well.  Some bikes were designed from the beginning to
have fenders.  Others were designed with fenders as an afterthought, while
still more were designed with no thought whatsoever about fenders.  So we
can talk about the abstract concept of fenders, or we can focus on the
particular task at hand, choosing whether or not to fender a particular
machine, and what the best choices may be for that machine.

For me, when deciding whether or not to fender it all starts with
clearances: 1. around the fork crown and front brake, 2. at the
BB/chainstay area. 3. At the rear brake and seatstays.
After confirming clearances, we assess attachment points.  Equidistance
bridges?  Or spacers?  Will we have to drill anywhere?  L-brackets or
darumas or direct connections?
Then we decide on material: plastic, aluminum, steel
Then color

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA