Heh.  My legs are disproportionately short compared to my arms and my
torso.  Many years ago back in high school I had a part time job that
required us to change into uniforms.  One day in the locker room a fellow
worker looked at the length of my pants and then at me.  He said, "Schick,
you a funny built m__ f__."  And he was right.  If the legs were the right
length I'd be 6 ft., too.  Way it is, I have to ride a smaller frame, hence
the 54cm and use a longer length stem (assuming road bars).  This is one of
the reasons frame sizing is a very individual thing.