The problem is the brake vs the fender. When you open the brake's quick
release, the brake pushes down on the fender and the fender onto the tire
if you are maxing tire size. Cutting away the offending fender solves the
problem, but so does using center pull brakes.  I am considering a version
of this for the linear brake cable in order to put fenders on my HHH.

Note that if you are really, really pushing the tire size, the center pull
provides more tire clearance than the side pull. I have two bikes with
center pull front brakes and side pull rears - Betty Foy and Rosco Bubbe
V1. The center pull for fender clearance on the front of the Betty and the
side pull on the rear because it was a cleaner look that rigging a center
pull on the rear.The center pull for tire clearance on the front of
the Rosco and the side pull on the rear because there wasn't enough room to
cleanly put a hanger on.

Laing
Cocoa FL