I generally did not wear helmets for the last 50+ years of cycling, unless
required by an event or club. They did not have helmets when I started
cycling (other than the hard to locate leather hair net style), and once
they did, my head was too big and they did not fit well. I actually had one
of the very early open topped Skid Lids in the mid 70s - It was yellow and
matched the paint on my Paramount. A few years ago, during my three years
in Everett, WA, I drove down to Universal Cycles in Portland, they did not
have a helmet in the entire store that really fit me, one sort of fit, but
the salesclerk refused to sell it to me because he said that it did not fit
well enough. He told me that I needed a Giro Bishop helmet. I called around
and found one at another bike shop in Portland, and sure enough, it fit.
Recently I put a "Da Brim" sunshade on it and now I wear it, mostly for the
protection from the sun.

I spent some time in Amsterdam a few years ago - they generally don't wear
helmets and I haven't read anything about the Dutch cyclists having a
higher than normal rate of cycling deaths or injuries. I think Americans
like the illusion of safety  - be it bike helmets or big SUVs.

Laing Conley
Cocoa, FL