Try changing the height of your bars on the road with a threadless stem. If you
set it up correctly (extra length in the steerer+ extra spacers), it can be
done ... but it will take ten times longer than with a quill stem.

OTOH, it’s impossible to get a threadless stem stuck inside the steerer, which
has happened on several of my standard-quill bikes.

Eric N
www.CampyOnly.com
CampyOnlyGuy.blogspot.com
Twitter: @CampyOnlyGuy