That's been my thinking, too.  I guess the underlying question is whether
Grant is prone to hyperbole, since I don't really follow Riv too closely.
It's either an amazing statement, an incomplete statement (as you suggest),
or sales fluffle (e.g, hyperbole).

I'm in the middle of modifying my old Rhode Gear bag to take a decaleur so I
can test my Woodrup's geometry.  I really don't see why any flat-bottomed
bag that can accept a decaleur at the right height can't be front-racked.

I'm just wondering if there's anything really special about this bag from a
mounting point of view.  Looks to me like not.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 09:07 -0400, Ken Freeman wrote:
> > Has anyone tried one yet?  Whadd'ya think?
> >
> > The on-line page says it must be used with the special Nitto F15 rack,
> > which mounts to the handlebar.  Anybody see why?  Why can't it be used
> > with a decaleur and a little front bag rack, like a TA, Berthoud, or
> > Nitto?
>
> I see no reason why it couln't be used that way, Ken.  I modified one of
> the original Kirtland Tour Paks (which also were originally meant to be
> supported by rods, only the Kirtland hooked over the stem rather than
> bolted to it like the Nitto) so I could use it with a VO front rack and
> a Berthoud Decaleur
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/97916...@n00/2668210913/in/set-72157606169015639/
> and I've seen one of the old Riv Boxy Bags mounted that way also.
>
> I think the intent is to say you can't just strap it onto the handlebars
> and let it hang loose, like you can with some of the other Riv handlebar
> bags.

Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA